Loz Speyer is a trumpeter, composer, bandleader and teacher working in Jazz and related music. Over the last 25 years he has initiated and led bands ranging from the 11-piece composers’ collective Rare Mix to freely improvising trios. His own Cuban-Jazz sextet Time Zone and his Free Jazz quintet Inner Space, both ongoing since 2003, have toured to Jazz festivals and clubs all around the UK, and released several critically acclaimed albums of original music.
In his own groups Speyer‘s long-standing colleagues include Stuart Hall, Chris Biscoe, Martin Hathaway, Tony Bianco, Jason Yarde. And as a freelance musician he has also worked with Sarah Jane Morris, Alex Maguire, Brian Abrahams, John Bennett Band, Mark Lockheart, Hugh Metcalf, London Improvisers Orchestra, Bollywood Brass Band, Simo Lagnawi, Amancio daSilva, Happy End (international tours and two LPs), Michael Rosen (a jazz-poetry project), Test Department, Yann Tiersen, Orquesta Chepín-Chovén...
STORIES - some seminal learning experiences:
· Aged 21, a 3 months stay working in New York City - lessons with guitarist Bob Johnston, workshops at University of the Streets with Clarence Sharpe, and hearing the likes of Cedar Walton, Sun Ra Arkestra and Cecil Taylor Octet at close quarters in small venues.
· Aged 22, improvisation workshops with John Stevens at the London Musicians' Collective, when he was developing his Search and Reflect concept.
· 3 weeks' travel with a cassette recorder in Morocco including an all-night Berber wedding on new year's eve, during which it sank in that everyone there could accurately clap complex 6/8 polyrhythms, just for fun.
· In Cuba 2005, finding out in a heated rehearsal situation that the clave really does change one's perception of the beat. And in a street gig by Pupy y Los Que Son Son, hearing 3000 people singing along with all the coros...
· Last but not least, 1991-2020 workshops and retreats with Qigong master Zhixing Wang, founder of the Hua Gong school of Qigong – and teaching the fundamental practise in evening classes and one day workshops.
We don't have any blog posts at the moment.
Please enter your details below to subscribe to our email list.