Click the link on the left for a
report on our exciting schools collaboration.
A music education project run by Derby Jazz in partnership with
Youth Music, and with support from Chas Foulds and Son, Derby City Council, Friends of Derby Jazz, University of Derby,
Derby College, Arts Council England and East Midlands Jazz.
The 2006 GIANT STEPS JAZZ PARTY was a huge success and a great way to celebrate everything our students have
achieved (see the 'Gallery' link on the left).
It gave us an opportunity to showcase GIANT STEPS to some important decision makers from:
All were enormously impressed with the quality and diversity of the music played
and with the self-confidence with which our students performed.
- Arts Council England
- Youth Music
- Derby and Derbyshire Education Services
- Jazz Services (a national agency for Jazz development
- Creative Partnership
We are still looking for funding to support
GIANT STEPS in the future. Any sponsors out there?
Please get in touch -
Contact Geoff: firstname.lastname@example.org
We launched GIANT STEPS in August 2004 and by the end of
March 2006 it has involved over 300 young people in:
We have also supported the professional development of our
own tutors, school-teachers and undergraduates.
All GIANT STEPS workshops involve improvisation and expect
high levels of creativity and application from their participants. The two words our young musicians
use most frequently to describe what they do in GIANT STEPS are 'challenging' and
- More than 270 workshops with our regular tutors: Jon Eno, David Eno,
Lauren Hogg, John Bailey, Walt Shaw and Oli Matthews.
- Over 50 workshops with major jazz artists, including:
Alex Wilson, Andy Panayi, Andy Scott, Bruce Adams, Claude Deppa, Corey Mwamba, Hilary Cameron, Mark Armstrong,
Pete Long, Tina May, Tony Kofi and Zigashane Ntalemawa.
- Performances at Derby Assembly Rooms, Derby Dance Centre, Derby Guildhall Theatre,
Metro Cinema, Rolls Royce Pavilion, The Voicebox and several Derby schools.
- Two four day Summer Schools.
- Five terms of Saturday School.
- Five terms of Creative Percussion Discussion.
- Jazz workshops with Voices choir at Voicebox.
- Outreach workshops in schools.